Friday, September 17, 2010

Rwanda: A Thousand Hills and 2,500 Verb Conjugations

Kigali struck me right away as a place that could really grow on me. Thanks to Steph I had the advantage of falling in with friends as soon as I arrived. Nic and his roommates offered me a place to stay and relax during my first days in Rwanda, and introduced me to the local version of a few beloved activities. In the first 48 hours I met with a newly minted hiking group, scheduled a mtn bike ride with a new set of riding partners, found the ultimate frisbee group, and the local Hashers for weekend runs. My first ride was up the back side of Mt. Kigali. The rainy season hadn't started, so the dust was fluffy, stubborn (in that it can momentarily steer your front wheel in unintended directions), and inches thick. I pushed up the first steep ascent only to get bucked off at the apex. I had at least 10 little hands immediately pulling me upright, dusting me off, and pushing me up the hill at a full (and impressively sustained) run. The ride took us through several villages- to the unimaginable joy of every kid in sight. Rwanda is very densely populated; it's the size of Maryland with twice the population. There isn't a remote possibility of biking anywhere and escaping notice. Population density aside, our fairness and general "otherness" is recognizable from miles away. All this really means is that there are non-stop gaggles of children running along side entourage-style. Besides the enthusiastic and persistent crowds, the best part about the rides are the plentiful single track pathways spidering along the hillsides and through drainages that connect climbs. I have unexpectedly landed in a mountain biking paradise.


No comments:

Post a Comment