Sunday, July 22, 2012

Darts and a Blindfold

Gone are the days of determining destinations with a close-eyed, finger-dragging spin of a globe. Thanks to handy tools like Google Earth, the interweb is a portal that lends access to almost every nook and cranny. A few months back a good friend of mine went hunting for tantalizing mountain ranges and invited me to help design an adventure. We found a gnarly band of peaks spanning the distance between two inland seas, then proceeded to mop up our drool and set our sights on a two month bike trip. After a year and nine month break, it's time to scratch the bike mode travel itch in Caucasia.

I take off this Monday, the 23rd in excellent company. Chris Gabrielli and Cheney Vidrine are well-travelled, adventure-hungry souls who love mountains and a good challenge as much as I do. Our trip starts in Samsun Turkey, continues along the Black Sea coast, and weaves NE through the Kackar mountain range to Georgia. We have six weeks to explore the region together. I get two weeks on my own at the end, and good old Dave Trench will meet up for a two week stint in the middle. We are all particularly excited about Georgia, but details of our route have yet to be determined. This map offers a rough approximation of our first week and a half.

Turkish roads are plentiful and well mapped. We are determined to avoid the highways and instead stick to backroads (our map refers to these as "cart paths"), which leads me to admit that have I no sense of how often we will have access to the internet. I plan to share all the details here with family and friends as often as I can. Please post questions if I leave out important details. I'll do my best to post routes and pictures.

As Chris so often says....GIDDY UP!


No comments:

Post a Comment