Monday, September 3, 2012

The Alps!

My next adventure is through the Alps! I fly home through Frankfurt and decided to look into creating an adventure around getting there. I looked up the cheapest destination on one side of the mass of mountains and came up with the following rough itinerary. I am looking forward to my first attempt at solo bike touring, and of course the full alpine immersion. I am extremely excited meet with Eva and Steph in the Zurich area for some side adventure bike exploration near the end. I will be camping, with a few opportunities to couch surf along the way. It is near the end of the season for traversing these mountains, so I am hoping for good weather and the friendly company of fellow straggling bike tourists. I fly into Torino tomorrow, train to Aosta, and if all goes as planned I'll be sleeping at the base of the Matterhorn tomorrow night!

Here's a rough estimate of the day to day:

Aosta to Matterhorn 55k ( it's too close to miss!)

Matterhorn to Aosta 55k 

Aosta to Martigney 77k

Mart. - Visp 73k 

Visp- Oberwald 50.5k 

Oberwald- Gadmen 45k

Gadmen- Altdorf 63k

Altdorf- Luchsingen 54k

Luchsingen- Wattwil 47k

Wattwil- Winterthur 48.5k 

Train to Frankfurt, or bike as far as I can into Germany and then train the remainder. 

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment